Re:Re:Durban July to take place behind closed doors

• Bob Brogan
  • Bob Brogan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 week 4 days ago #787031 by Bob Brogan
Vodacom Durban July to be staged behind closed doors

Horse racing fans can take heart that the 2020 Vodacom Durban July will take place this year, but as a broadcast-only event behind closed doors.
Vodacom and Gold Circle have confirmed a joint commitment to run Africa’s Greatest Horseracing Event, but under the strictest adherence to all government health protocols surrounding COVID-19.
“Gold Circle, together with the ongoing support of the company’s valued sponsor Vodacom, is fully committed to running the 2020 Vodacom Durban July. Sadly, given the reality of the present circumstances, the race meeting will be staged behind closed doors and without spectators,” said Gold Circle CEO Michel Nairac. “The VDJ has enjoyed an uninterrupted history since first being run in 1897 – not even two world wars prevented the race from being run – and we are doing everything in our power to ensure that 2020 is not the exception,” he added.
The proposed date for the race is Saturday 25 July, but the extremely fluid nature of the current pandemic means this could change as circumstances so dictate.
“Any decision we make around the Vodacom Durban July this year will be made as a responsible company committed to the safety of all who are involved. As a sponsor, we will work together with all relevant stakeholders and be guided by the horseracing fraternity and the experts in this industry, as well as in government, as we all work towards making this year’s race a reality,” said Michelle van Eyden, the Executive Head of Sponsorship at Vodacom.
Ends

......................................................................................................................................

www.africanbettingclan.com

@SAFBETTINGCLAN

FACEBOOK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 4 days ago #787033 by Saint Tropez
At least they are still going to run the July albeit behind closed doors, i do not have a problem with that. Most sporting codes will do exactly the same

More
1 week 4 days ago - 1 week 4 days ago #787039 by dilligaf
Somebody's source is not so impeccable......

"Have been told by an impeccable source.

I'm not sure if its only for this year or a total withdrawal."

"Blah blah do we have a bet?

I will disclose upfront that my source will settle should he be proven wrong.

I suggest you do likewise however it's interesting that we have already gone from a utter bullshit to a what if scenario.

Feeling Hawkish?"

www.africanbettingclan.com/mobiquo/redirect.php?pid=785200

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Last edit: 1 week 4 days ago by dilligaf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: louisg

More
1 week 4 days ago #787042 by Sammy Silver
Well at least we can punt in peace for the big day.

Will not be sidelined by all the loud music and fashion!!!

More
1 week 4 days ago #787043 by Mac
but the report is silent about Govt approval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Lot 226, 2016 NYS, Diamondveld, R1.5m"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sylvester, oscar

More
1 week 4 days ago #787060 by BATMAN
Atleast no 1 hour gaps on july day.If movement of horses is not allowed between provinces I wonder what the fields will be like, the main race will have 70 merit rating horses included

More
1 week 4 days ago #787063 by Sammy Silver

BATMAN wrote: Atleast no 1 hour gaps on july day.If movement of horses is not allowed between provinces I wonder what the fields will be like, the main race will have 70 merit rating horses included

The majority of the Cape contingent are already at Summerveld and I am sure that the Jhb horses will be allowed to travel down.

More
1 week 4 days ago #787067 by bayern
If this is a given, any indication of when horse racing resume countrywide?

Guessing has never been widely acclaimed as a good gambling strategy

More
1 week 4 days ago #787069 by oscar
Who is in charge of the decision wether or not the July will take place?

More
1 week 4 days ago #787082 by Garrick
This has all the makings of a turnover disaster.

I have no problem with and fully understand why the meeting might need to take place without any on course attendance. However - the on course turnovers are unlikely to be entirely substituted on line so there may well be a significant decline in gross turnover.

BUT.......almost all of the service providers have delivered poor or faulty facilities on big days. Saftote has 'fallen over' under the volume on innumerable occasions as have many online bet providers.

Let's put a marker in the sand with some weeks still to go before the event ( if it takes place ar all ). What are service providers doing NOW to upgrade their hardware/software in anticipation of the expected heavy loads? My guess - nothing. This is going to be the usual 'wing and a prayer' exercise with apologies to follow to all those who could not get a bet on.

I guess it will force punters to place bets well in advance simply to 'get on'. Last minute inspirations run the risk of generating a mass of 'would have/should have' stories.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sylvester

• johnnycomelately
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 week 4 days ago #787083 by johnnycomelately
Maybe for once take the proactive route and start making excuses today?

More
1 week 4 days ago #787084 by Over the Air

dilligaf wrote: Somebody's source is not so impeccable......

I suggest you do likewise however it's interesting that we have already gone from a utter bullshit to a what if scenario.

Feeling Hawkish?"

It's interesting that the no attendance only comes out now as this was the basis of my bet. Gold Circle are going to lose a fortune when compared to previous years.

Louis if you had a bigger pair MAYBE you would be donating a grand. MAYBE.

• Bob Brogan
  • Bob Brogan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 week 4 days ago #787085 by Bob Brogan
OK we`re all racing fans

When will owners and punters be allowed to go racing or to lounges?

It`s already been 2 months

I very doubt it will be back to normal for 3-6 months ( could be optimistic )

The R100m will go very fast if the punters are not around to top it up (Seemingly there`s R4m missing already... wink wink)

So what`s in it for owners and punters? The love of it?

......................................................................................................................................

www.africanbettingclan.com

@SAFBETTINGCLAN

FACEBOOK

More
1 week 4 days ago #787086 by Over the Air

Over the Air wrote:

dilligaf wrote: Somebody's source is not so impeccable......

Feeling Hawkish?"

It's interesting that the no attendance only comes out now as this was the basis of my bet. Gold Circle are going to lose a fortune when compared to previous years.

Louis if you had a bigger pair MAYBE I would be donating a grand. MAYBE.

The July is not a done deal not by a long shot

More
1 week 4 days ago #787087 by dilligaf
[/quote]

Louis if you had a bigger pair MAYBE you would be donating a grand. MAYBE.[/quote]

Your bet was Vodacom will not sponsor the VDJ. You mentioned nothing about crowds or lack there of, somebody else did.

LouisG said "If the July is run under lockdown conditions, without the public there, Vodacom will remain as sponsors this year and thereafter.

If the July is run with the public there, they will skip this year and carry on next year and also add a year onto their existing contract."

So your claim, "It's interesting that the no attendance only comes out now as this was the basis of my bet"' is not quite true.......

More
1 week 4 days ago #787090 by Over the Air
Dilligaf do the sums

No 50000 x R200

No on course turnover

VERSUS

A substantially watered down July. The likelihood is that GC could make a loss on the day. Why not cancel the event?

I would take that bet every time, clearly the businessmen that run racing in that part of the world think differently.

More
1 week 4 days ago #787092 by Over the Air
To illustrate my point Comrades has been cancelled. That is the biggest ultra marathon in the WORLD.

Many more examples.

More
1 week 3 days ago #787102 by BATMAN
I must say over the air hasn't been wrong. Firstly at the start of lockdown Vodacom only would go ahead with the july if it was behind closed doors. That really is the way that they wanted to look good with government especially since nobody wants to loose contracts and tenders.At that stage when lockdown had just started everybody had thought by july events with spectators would be ok.If public is allowed then you would have seen Vodacom withdraw.

Now comes the statement of july happening as a JOINT commitment with gold circle.I bet their sponsor ship amount has been reduced to a nominal amount, understandable in these times, except Vodacom is doing well.Racing hasn't even started and may happen during june, I think during july is way to early for that big race day but if it was to run in lets say September then you run the risk of public attendance (between may and September anything can happen with regard to the virus,could stay or go nobody knows) and you would loose Vodacom as a sponsor.
Running the lets say in September it gives more chance that by then that totes can open.Without totes open then the pools will be pathetic and the bookmakers open bet will take massive turnovers.

I wonder if the big 5 will be asap try negotiate a fair deal with the bookmakers to save racing.I hope we get to know what they are doing as to many confidential agreements.

More
1 week 3 days ago #787118 by Sylvester
i think very naive to announce the July raceday.
so much can still go wrong.
hotspot could be created including the Durban Metro area. preventing anything taking place.
the racing program is 2 months behind already
unlikely the totes will be allowed to have more than 10-20 people inside at any given time. take that on July Day u will have chaos and the police will shut it down. the risk of the totes opening at any stage is to high in my opinion. people dont leave after their bet is placed they mull around outside. that wont be allowed by the police even at stage 2.
personally i would scrap the july for 2020.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mr hawaii, Garrick

More
1 week 3 days ago #787120 by Sammy Silver
The Winter Champions season can be saved and carried out over the following months:
July (Daily News end July, Sprint meeting beginning of July)
August (Durban July end August)
September (Gold Cup end Sept)

Time to create page: 0.541 seconds

About A.B.C

African Betting Clan is established for the upliftment of the sports punter, who enjoys a bet on horse racing, football and other sports, enabling them to voice their views and opinions on all aspects of the sport of their choice, free of charge.

Learn More

Contact Details

Main Office (HQ)
Box 40390 moreleta park, Pretoria 0044
+27 827854357

Events

May 2020
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23